Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Social Medias ruin our lives


When Mark Zuckerberg launched Facebook in 2004 he probably thought that he was going to get people closer to each other, but did he realise that in fact, Facebook was going to ruin millions of people's lives?

My ex made me join Facebook in 2008 to help us "keep in touch" when he moved to the other side of the world. At the time I was barely using social media, I didn't really understand the point of them and I was one of the few people who never had a Myspace account. But without realising it, I started using Facebook more and more often in 2009. At that point, I didn't realise that this was going to affect my life so much...

Twenty years ago people used to buy newspapers to keep themselves informed of the world actuality. Nowadays you just have to log in to Facebook, Twitter (etc.) to know what's going on in everyone's lives. The problem with networking websites is that it makes us think that other people's lives is so much better than ours. This constant awareness of what is happening around you is driving people to paranoia and a constant worry about what other people think of them. Out of all the social media, I personally think that Facebook is the most damaging one.

Social media sites caused a third of the divorce last year and it's clearly not difficult to understand why. However romantic relationships are never really over "thanks" to all these websites. Before Facebook, ending a relationship actually meant the end of communication for the most part but not anymore. Many people never delete their ex and still check on them on a regular basis, even if they are no longer a part of their lives. And when you finally decide to cut all ties it doesn't really change anything when your online social life is so entangled. For instance, if you have hundreds of mutual friends with your ex and he decides to set up his profile's privacy to public and upload a picture with his new "girl", well soon or later this picture will automatically end up in your newsfeed. How 'wonderful' is that! So unless you want to block all your exes/enemies from every social media (which is clearly a pain) or unless you decide to be off social media entirely, there is no way to escape from this.

We live in a world where Technology is so important and as much as I love technologies I can't help asking myself what would a world without the Internet look like?

5 comments:

  1. everything you've written here is the TRUTH!! love you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think that writing is the only thing who helps me to stop going mental. Love you too, see you tomorrow ♥

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you 100%!
    I hate Facebook and only use it to promote my business... even then I hate using it =(
    I love this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! I use Facebook for my blog/YouTube channel but very seldom log into my personal account. Nice post!
    xx Lux

    ReplyDelete